Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Love Portugese Tiles !!!!!

On a trip to Portugal 3 years ago we were lucky enough to visit the charming town of Sintra. It was very picturesque and had adorable shops. We enjoyed visiting a few of the tile shops and found an artist painting tiles - a mural of a home in England. An idea formed - we happened to have a photo of our new summer house in Maine with us on the trip to show the friends we were visiting. We picked out the lettering and frame of the Lucky Stars sign- we wanted something that looked like waves and of course the stars in the corners.



Nan - one of my personal decorators from the previous post had this made for me while she was living in Portugal. She is so organized - thinking of a house warming gift - years before she would visit!!!! She is a keeper!!!! Love the blue lobster- so Maine.




Here is the final product - after much back and forth - and a little trouble with cracked tiles we were able to hang our artists rendition of our Maine house above the fireplace. We have all of the tiles cemented to wood - that way we can always move the art piece- I love the look of tiles installed in a wall of kitchen or house itself- but would hate to leave it if we ever had to sell the house!!! Couldn't part with my memento of the trip!

We do have our name and address of the shop in Sintra but this Sintra business man has a great website and my friend who lived in Portugal was aware of him and he had a good reputation- so if you are in the market - give them a try!

http://www.sintraantiquetiles.com

1 comment:

cotedetexas said...

NO! that is gorgeous! WOW I am so impressed!!!! wow!!!!!!! what can I say????? unreal!

thanks for your comment too - I am so tired of the nasty anons - every single post, why bother to read it, you know? I always answer him though. yuck. bad kharma.